Unlike tests held by individual companies, the report generated by AMCAT helps the candidates too. They can identify their strong and weak areas, improve their knowledge in certain areas or even look for specific industries or jobs where they are likely to perform better. Around 700+ premium companies in India use this as a compulsory test for entry level roles. The companies that use AMCAT as their assessment tool include : Accenture, Tata Motors, Snapdeal, Axis Bank and many others.
Before understanding how to prepare and succeed in AMCAT, let’s take a quick look at the syllabus of this exam.
The sections and modules in the test can be chosen based on the education background. Some modules are compulsory and others are optional. You can select any two domain-specific modules during the test. These modules should be selected based on your job preference in particular sectors. If you prefer to apply for IT companies, then Programming module suits you better.
The compulsory papers are
1) English Comprehension: This is aimed at testing the candidate’s ability to understand the written text, the spoken skills and the ability to communicate effectively through written documents.
Topics in English Comprehension include,
- Identifying and correcting errors in the sentences.
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Setting the sentence in order
- Passage comprehension.
2) Quantitative Ability: This basically evaluates the numerical ability of an individual and is tailored to suit both technical and non-technical candidates.
Topics in Quantitative Ability include,
- Permutations & Combinations.
- Basics of Algebra.
- Fractions & Decimals.
- Logarithms & Powers.
- LCM & HCF
- Numerical problems.
- Problems on Time and Work, Time and Distance, Ages, P&L, Interest, Percentages etc.
3) Logical Ability: This tests the reasoning ability, ability to interpret, spot trends and make generalisations.
Topics in this section include,
- Coding & Decoding.
- Puzzles and Sequencing of words.
- Blood Relations
- Non-verbal Reasoning
- Objective Reasoning.
- Data Sufficiency
There are optional modules which candidates can choose from, based on their individual preference, education background, and their target jobs. There are primarily three modules; for Graduates, Engineers, and MBA Graduates.
General syllabus for Graduates includes topics such as Finance and Accounting, Computer Programming, Biology, Pharma, Physics, Chemistry, etc.
General syllabus for Engineers includes topics such as Computer Science, IT, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics & Communication and Electrical Engineering.
General syllabus for MBAs includes topics such as HR, Finance, Marketing, Operations, Statistics etc.
Preparing to Succeed in AMCAT
Now that we know the syllabus, let’s look at some of the important tips that will help you succeed in AMCAT.
- Remember its Adaptive: It adapts to your level of knowledge. Based on the answer given to the first question, the next question is determined. It is usually observed that the level of difficulty increases or decreases after half the section is attempted.
- Keep a watch on the time and the remaining questions: Many candidates have failed because they failed to attempt minimum no. of questions, thus ending up with a minus score (-1) for that section. So the idea is to attempt at least the minimum number of questions. Don’t get stuck with difficult questions. Move on and answer the simpler ones, so you can give more time to difficult ones.
- Read the passage fully: In the English section, do not skip any part of the passage, as usually at least 2 to 3 questions appear from each passage.
- Be in touch with the subjects: Since you usually take subjects related to your graduation, it is a good idea not to dispose of those books. Keep in touch with the basics of those subjects.
- Pick a good book for Quantitative & Logical ability test: Though many books written for CAT exam should suffice, you can refer to R.S.Agarwal’s book for this section.
This score is important both for companies as well as you. So if you want to aim at the top notch companies for placement, it would be advisable to take the help of professional coaching Institutes like TalentSprint, who have national level trainers to guide you to success in the exam in the shortest possible time.