A job interview is a two-way communication process in which a potential employee is evaluated by an employer. On the other hand, it is an opportunity for you too as a potential employee to gather information about the job, the organization, and future career opportunities to figure out if the position and work environment are right for you.
The keys to a successful interview are preparation and practice. If you use the time before your interview to prepare yourself well, you will likely look and feel more confident during the interview.
Top 5 Tips to ACE an Interview
- Before the Interview, research, prepare, rehearse. Do your homework about the organization/ employer. Anticipate questions you might be asked and be ready with answers to these questions. Think about your own career goals, long-term plans, past successes, and work strengths.
- On the day of the interview, make sure your interview attire is neat, tidy and appropriate. (Women should avoid strong perfume, heavy jewelry or make up. Men, make sure you are clean shaven, hair is cut short and shoes well polished.)
- Plan your time so that you make it to the interview five to ten minutes early. And most importantly, don’t forget to turn off your phone before you head into the interview.
- During the interview, start your interview with a smile – it makes the interview atmosphere pleasant and friendly. Sit only when asked to do so, sit up straight and look the interviewer right in the eye. Lean forward a bit; this shows that you are enthusiastic and curious to listen and talk. Carry a positive and a confident tone and speak with clarity. Never argue but present your point professionally. Don’t get distracted - make sure you maintain eye contact with your interviewer.
- After the interview, shake hands with the interviewer. You should receive some information about when you could expect to hear back from the employer. The standard time is about two weeks.